Obtaining a FCC Issued MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) Number:
Many customer purchasing AIS units have asked about how to obtain a MMSI number through the FCC. You can get a MMSI though BoatUS but it is only good for US waters. I strongly suggest that customers spend the time and money to get the official MMSI through the FCC. The MMSI will also work for VHF radios equipped with DSC (Digital Selective Calling) function, EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) and you will also be assigned a call sign.
1) Go to https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do and register for a FRN (FCC Registration Number)
2) Go to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp and enter your FRN and Password.
3) Click on “apply for a new license”
4) Under heading “Select the radio service for the new license.” Select “SA-SB Ship” from the drop down menu
5) Fill out the form and submit payment. When I did it, it cost $215 and I had my MMSI in less than 24 hours. You can look up your MMSI at http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchShip.jsp where it will likely be posted before you receive an e-mail confirmation.
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE ONLY A GUIDELINE FOR OBTAINING AN MMSI. MILLER AND MILLER BOATYARD IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OMISSIONS OR ERRORS IN THIS DOCUMENT. IF YOU FIND THAT THERE IS AN ISSUE, PLEASE LET US KNOW AND WE WILL FIX IT. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE SEND US AN E-MAIL AND WE WILL TRY TO ADDRESS IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.